Wednesday 20 January 2010

Oranges Again

I wasn't working yesterday, so I took the afternoon to make marmalade. Just as I was starting, I was thinking how much the light was flickering, and thought it would be good to have a spare bulb on hand - it's not a standard one. A few minutes later it started flashing on and off, so I had to turn it off, and work by a little desk-lamp while the WD40 worked to loosen the shade enough for me to switch the bulb with the one from the hall. How lovely it was having an electric juicer - made life that much easier. I now have 12 lovely jars of marmalade - had to raid the collection set out for taking to the recycling centre to come up with enough jars.






 C bought me some Global knives about fifteen years ago or more - well before they became trendy. There was one shop in Ireland that sold them at the time, over in Galway. So for special occasions, he would add to my collection if he'd been over there on business. Apart from trying to keep them sharp  - I am not the best with a steel - I love them, and would certainly be happy to grow my collection with a couple more.






My best attempts could only rummage up seven lids (that includes raiding the one from the jar of bay-leaves by the cooker) - but luckily I knew I had some cellophane jam-jar covers - and where to find them. Which is more than could be said for the muslin to tie the pips in when I was simmering the peel and pulp. Instead of in with the teatowels, or even the overflow teatowels, it was in with my dress-making fabrics. Why?




I also made some cookies with a couple more Seville oranges this afternoon.  They have a lovely tang from the bitter oranges, but I'll certainly try them again with ordinary oranges another time. C managed 2 with his coffee before dinner, and another two for dessert afterwards.



Orange and chocolate chip cookies - makes approx 28
4 oz butter
5 oz caster sugar
finely grated zest from 2 Seville oranges
8 oz flour, sifted with 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 oz good chocolate chips.
Cream butter, sugar and zest till light and fluffy. Beat the egg and vanilla together and add gradually to butter mix. Stir in the flour with a spoon, or the mixer on low. Add 1 tblsp cold water. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Form into small walnut-sized balls and place on trays lined with greaseproof paper. Press down with a fork - dip the fork in water if it's sticking to the dough too much. Bake for 12-15 minutes in a moderate oven - I think mine was set to about 150C.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Your marmalade sounds delicious. It must be so fragrant in your kitchen when you're working with those oranges. I'm going to save that recipe and give it a try.