Friday 4 March 2022

Spring is Springing

 We finally had some bright sunshine weather, so I fitted a trip to Farmleigh in on Thursday morning. Unfortunately the walled gardens were just being closed for maintenance when I got there - if I'd known that I might have waited till today which was also a bright sunny day. But that's life.

My eye was caught straight away by a duck that didn't look like a mallard - and which did indeed turn out to be a shoveler. I have a feeling I might have seen them in the Zoo, which is also in the park, and we have definitely seen them in the bird reserve down in Newcastle, but it was the first time I'd seen one here. I think there was a female with it too - they are very similar in colouring to female mallards, so while I was there I just thought it was a mallard, but when I zoomed in on a couple of photos, I could see that it also had the distinctive long bill.




I also got lucky and was able to grab a few photos of a little wren.






Then we have some backlit magnolia buds and a couple of flowers, and a still life someone had created on one of the picnic tables, along with a glimpse into the walled garden through one of the gates.










2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Great picture of the duck upright in the water with it's golden eye. And such a plump little wren in those warm brown colors. I think that might be a hellebore blooming - ours have buds but aren't open yet thought a friend not too far away has some white ones blooming already. It's almost getting to be comfortable enough to work outside, but not quite yet. Wish we had somewhere as beautiful within walking distance as you have.

Wavejumper said...

Wow-great catch of the duck upright!
The b&w buds is nice.
Look at that cutie wren. :)

hugs Margot