Sunday 27 March 2022

Botanic Gardens

 We've had an amazing run of weather the last ten days or so - due to end this week. On the Saturday if the St. Patrick's Day long weekend we went up along the coast, but I have no pictures from that. I do have some from our trip to the Botanic Gardens yesterday - and if you have the appetite for more, the full gallery (approx 70 photos)  is HERE

Brief highlights follow. Unedited, due to lack of time.  Plenty of  Spring bulbs...the magnolia patch was fenced off so we weren't able to go into it, the one photo here is from the walled kitchen garden. It looks as if they had cut down several of the established magnolias and planted some new ones.

For the first time since Covid, we were able to go into the glasshouses - and I'd forgotten how quickly glasses  and camera lenses steam up! The strelitzia are in the glasshouse for South Africa and Australia. I liked the dead ones, which made me think of the vultures in The Jungle Book. 






This one was right up at the top of the Palm House - and reminded me of an elaborate fascinator

Enjoying the sun - and I had to look twice to be sure it wasn't another bronze sculpture like the one in the other lily pond. 


This was an intriguing narcissus, with alternate layers of coloured and white petals

And this one made us both think of one of those classic origami flower folds. 

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

It is such a renewing time of year. We've got some blooming going on here but I fear for the magnolias that are open already - we have a freeze warning for the next three nights. Our chipmunk friend has been seen scurrying around and the bluebirds already have a nest completed but no eggs yet. So nice to see what you've been experiencing this spring.

Wavejumper said...

Well you know I HAD to see them all! :D I pinned a number of them new to me...
I have only see orange Bird of Paradise before. Lovely bark pics. Our Magnolia is going along with bulbs, hellebores and forsythia though the last is looking poorly. I expect the lilacs will be next. We don't get interesting birds though. Spring is my favorite season. Rebirth. Hugs Margot