Friday 23 July 2021

A beach - at last

 We took a few days break away from home last week, and camped in my brother's garden so it really felt like a holiday - especially combined with the amazing weather we've been having. 

Our first outing was to a nearby beach, and it was wonderful to walk on sand, paddle (and swim) after barely having seen the sea for over a year and a half.

It wasn't a large bay - but large enough when we walked to one end from the car park, and then to other end and back.

We saw plenty of gulls (mostly black-headed), some oyster-catchers, an unknown little brown bird, and at each end there were sand martins nesting in the "cliff" front. I could swear I heard a curlew too though I didn't see one. It's possible, I used to see them from the train when I was visiting my Dad in Midleton. 


Due to the blogger issues I'm not going to try to sort them all in order. 


Sand martins on fence


Oyster-catcher




Martin nests 



Black-headed gull


I'll be back with some photos over the next few days. We also visited Fota Gardens and Arboretum, and had two forest walks. 





1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Glad you got to get away for some beach time. Getting out and about has never been so welcome before.