Sunday 16 May 2021

Hot off the Needles - May Flowers

 I knit this for a friend. I left it a bit late to start something, because we heard so early that she was expecting - probably the best bit of news I got all last year. If I'd had more time I'd have thought about knitting a large cot blanket with jungle animals which was a great hit with both recipients who have got one in the past. I was showing C a couple of possibilities on Ravelry, and instead of any of them, he picked this one out. By the end there were 750 stitches on the needle - I had to order a 60" one, I didn't even know they came that long - and one ball of wool knit about 7 rows. (Editing to clarify that it was knit on circular needles in the round. I hadn't known they came in that length - I couldn't source one in Ireland at all.) It was hard to get a good photo. It's approximately 36" diameter. The pattern was called May Flowers



We had atrocious weather yesterday, heavy downpours - C's motorcycle ride-out was cancelled. I'd warned him that if the weather was half decent this morning, I was hoping for a quick trip to the Botanic Gardens to smell the lilacs and see the peonies. It was very overcast and grey looking, but we headed out anyway. I'll have to swing back with another post for the peonies, whenever I get time for a bit of editing later in the week. But here are some of the other treats we found...the hawthorn in full bloom, a little moorhen chick, rhododendrons. beautifully backlit gunnera. The robin was perched on the border hedging in the peony walk, and so close I could have touched him. 
The herbaceous and annual borders were both pretty bare, with just sand marking where the different seeds had been sown in the annual bed. But it was a worthwhile trip - and it started pouring on our way back, so the timing was good. 
















3 comments:

Lorraine said...

The blanket is beautiful. I can't imagine working with 60" needles. Great pattern choice!! I love seeing the Spring come to life with all the plants and trees. You always have such a great variety to feature.

Wavejumper said...

60 inch needles?? Omgoodness! 5 feet! Almost as tall as me! Are they heavy even in aluminum?
Well I bet it was an adventure in knitting and a challenge!

The blanket is lovely though. And a precious gift on keeps.

Great pics as always! :)
hugs Margot

Clarehelen said...

The blanket is amazing! All those stiches would overwhelm me. WOW! Your birds and flowers pictures made my day as usual!