Thursday 6 May 2021

Canal Walk

 Finally  my duckling hunt paid off. It was a beautiful (but cold,  a heavy frost overnight) morning, and as I had bad earache yesterday I decided to go for a walk along the canal rather than cycle in the park. I walked to the lock along the road, because where the houseboats are, and beside the train station, is usually the best place for finding ducklings. Nothing there except a mallard drake enjoying the sun, and a moorhen showing the beautiful browns in its plumage in the sunshine. Normally I think of them as black birds. But, despite the recent heavy rain and frequent hail showers, I decided to risk the mud along the towpath and walk back home canal-side, and that was where I found my chickies at last. They were tiny, I don't think they can be hatched that long. And yet this time last year, any we saw were well past the fuzzball stage. I wonder why they were so much later this year...

Apologies for the brightness - it was, as I said, a very bright sunny morning. I'm sorry, for some reason the photos are showing in reverse of the order I wanted, and it's one thing that is not so easy in the newer Blogger dashboard, moving them around. My walk started at the bottom of the photos here. Many of the houseboats were decked out with planters and tubs full of colourful Spring flowers. The snail was on the side of a barge which does charter trips. 



















3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oooh, those fuzzy ducklings are so cute. I love the pictures with the reeds reflected in the moving water. I have to say that I have the hardest time posting photos in order with Blogger now too. It can be very frustrating. Hope your earache is better.

Wavejumper said...

How cool that we got a video of the chickies! I think I counted 7 in total. (#7 showed up towards the end in the upper left corner) That's a lot of mischief mommy will have to keep an on. lol

What is the snail thing? A postal box?

I love your walk pictures. I bet the walks really help wash the drudgery stuff away.

hugs Margot

Clarehelen said...

Ducklings are so cute! We had a couple of ducks in our swimming pool this past week. That black bird . . . I imagine him with a orange cone hate with a pom pom on top. (I may have Halloween ideas creepying into my thoughts.) :)