Sunday 18 October 2020

October Miscellany

 Since we were unable to leave Dublin county in September (or at least, after we were both free to take a day off), we were unable to go sloe gathering in our normal location this year, and the one place I knew to try nearer home was fruitless. So we are trying raspberry gin this year instead of sloe gin. Today was the day for straining and bottling it - we had a pavlova with some of the gin-infused berries. I don't think it's a patch on sloe gin, and I'm glad I found one last jar of that hiding away so we are not totally destitute, but I'm sure we'll enjoy drinking it. I was surprised to see how much colour the lemon slices had picked up.


C went for his more or less customary walk after work on Thursday, and came back saying he had something to show me. He had seen a little hedgehog while walking across the green area near us - he had a couple of photos on his camera and he asked me did I want to go and see if it was still there. With perfect timing, I had about twenty minutes before it was time to add the eggs on top of my layered tomato, pepper and onion dish, so we went back. He was still there - an odd time for him to be out. Apparently he lives in one of the houses across the road. As he was being very slow crossing, and it was a moderately busy time of day, someone put on some work gloves and gave him a helping hand. It was certainly an unusual time of day for him to be out, so I hope he wasn't ill. It's a few years since we last saw a live one. From the size, I think it was a young one. It's probably almost hibernation time - temperatures last night fell to near freezing.







2 comments:

Lorraine said...

How cute is that hedgehog. A teacher friend had one as a pet and it went blind (I think from mishandling). How cool to see them in the wild. Back when my husband and I were dating, my favorite drink was a Sloe Gin Fizz. Haven't had one of those in actual decades. Maybe I need to try them again.

Wavejumper said...

Gee maybe he was hungry to come out like that....I hope he is ok. I love Hedgies. I dont know if they cause mischief those like other critters.

I would trade our icky pidgeons for them in a heartbeat!

hugs Margot