Tuesday 8 December 2009

Old Tree Decoration...

I was searching my hard drive today for a photo from a commercial package. Didn't find it, but I found this photo of one of the little snowmen I made our very first Christmas together. We didn't have a lot of money - C lost his job 5 months after we got married, and it was a pretty bleak time back then as far as the job market went - plus ca change!! This is the first year for a long time that Ireland has had net emigration figures again. Anyway, we did get a little tree, and I knit about a dozen snowmen to help fill some of the gaps. Some of them had knitted scarves, and some were scraps from the scrap-box. (This particular scrap was from a trouser-pocket lining, and there's one with a lovely silky red and black scarf. One knitted one was wool from a sweater that I knit 3 times for my brother. The first time I knit it in real Icelandic wool and Mum shrunk it in the washing machine. The second one, same colours only mohair, he got caught in a lathe in college and it mangled it. The third one I knit in the same colours again with really cheap wool from the pound shop - and he wore it for years!) The snowmen still come out every year, in spite of the fact that they are a reminder of a difficult time.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Isn't it wonderful to have such stories behind the ornaments - whether they're good memories or not so good. Christmas trees with handmade ornaments are like scrapbooks of our lives. Your little snowman is very cute.

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

OH how cute is this guy!! And I love how you still put them out for the holiday celebrations. I think you should print up their "story" and include it in their storage box, so they can be loved and appreciated for what they are, generations to come! :)