Thursday 31 December 2020

December Favourites

 I hope to be along  with some Christmas cards from throughout the year before I go back to work and get busy again, but here are my favourite creations from throughout December. 





The theme for this one was based on the Greek legend of Pandora's box, expressing hope for next year. So folded up, it is more box-like...




  
This one is a mixed media canvas, so it's about 8" x 10".



This is the one I made for C to give me, rather than go over to the stores to try to find something. I made it in a bit of a hurry, but I was still happy with it. I love the little dog. 

A recycling theme: an old National Geographic, an even older page from a calendar, and a beer can



My individual Baked Alaska for our Christmas dessert turned out very well - I used plain vanilla icecream and added some black cherries. The only problem is that the next time C asks for it, I will no longer be able to use the excuse that I can only make it when we have guests for dinner.  

I made my second batch of mince pies today. This year's mincemeat seems particularly nice and I'm not sure why. The recipe calls for apple jelly and peach jam (I use an old recipe from The Heritage Collection of Home Tested Recipes, compiled by the Chatelaine Institute. No date inside it, but the other Chatelaine collection I received from Canada the same year was printed in 1978), but I tend to use whatever jars of jam have been sitting in the fridge that need using up. This year a jar of rather runny marmalade went in. I also wasn't sure if I'd added the brown sugar, as there was a bag sitting on the counter the next day. It tasted sweet enough, so I made the assumption that I had actually added it from my sugar jar, which would be possible. 

2 cups suet
3 cups coarsely grated cooking apples
1 cup apple jelly
2 pts grape juice or cider
1 pt peach jam
3 cups brown sugar
2 lb raisins
1 lb currants
1 tsp salt
1 tblsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg & 1/2 tsp cloves
Grated rind and juice of 2 oranges & 2 lemons







This month's header is a January evening sky from last year. 

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

A fantastic assortment of cards. I love the lily of the valley and the circles remind me of a beautiful quilt. I also like that you got to keep one of your creations. That's a great idea. That dessert sure looks special. Happy New Year!

Clare said...

My mouth is watering looking at those desserts. Wonderful cards!