Sunday 10 March 2019

Just Because...

Still very slowly recovering from the 'flu and without a lot of energy. But on my day off last week I decided to just sit down and create for the fun of it with no goal in mind. I've called this Castles in the Air, and to go with it, here's  a quote from Mark Kurlansky's book on paper which C picked up the last time we were at the library (I've already read Cod and Salt).

Here he is quoting Zhang Heng, the earliest Chinese painter whose name is on record: "Real objects are difficult to represent, but the realm of the unreal is infinite."

I didn't want a traditional rainbow, so I used the three different packs of gilding flakes which I have. They look very different in the packaging, not so much when you see them side by side like this. I would have preferred a more mythical looking bird or even an owl - but none of the ones I have are flying.


2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh my - this is just so magical. I love the rainbow and the texture of the castle is so perfect. So glad you took the time to get this on paper.

Clare said...

I love this one too.