Saturday 4 September 2021

Hot off, warm off and on the needles

 I tried taking photos of the jacket (DROPS Medieval, from Ravelry) on the ground, but I had to resort to using the tripod and myself as a model. It's great being able to use the phone as a remote - it's several cameras back since I actually had such a thing as an old-fashioned cable remote.

It was meant to have three buttons, and I had three lovely antique silver ones. But when I ripped part of the front, I forgot the middle buttonhole when I knitted it back up again - and since I had two antique brass ones, I settled for that. It looks better in motion, because the draped panels have a lovely swing to them.



Once that was finished, I picked up a cowl kit I bought before Christmas last year. It's an Irish yarn, and called for an 8mm circular needle which wasn't something I possessed, so I had to order one before I could start. It's going to be lovely and cosy in the colder weather. 


After that, I started a scarf for C, in a lovely grey alpaca which I was tempted to keep for myself. I think there are going to be two balls left, so I might get gloves out of it, anyway.


Being DK, it was a nice step-down from the Aran/worsted of the previous two projects - getting me ready for some socks which are my next project. I've already knitted 6 tension samples, as the suggested needle size was 2.5 mm, but with instructions to knit to gauge. Well, despite the fact that, a very rare event, I had actually bought the yarn the pattern was written for, I had to knit samples on 2.5mm  2.75mm, 3 mm, 3.25 mm and finally 3.5mm gave me the right tension. Possibly because it's an intarsia design of daisies...it leaves me feeling slightly anxious that I will have put a lot of work into the socks and they won't fit. Fingers crossed - maybe that should be toes. Again, I had to go out and buy needles because I didn't have double-pointed ones in either 3.25 or 3.5. Plenty of smaller ones, thanks to the lovely knitted bird book from Lorraine :D. 








2 comments:

Lorraine said...

What a gorgeous jacket (and stunning model of course!). I can see the swing to it. You're such a talented knitter. I commend you on your patience in trying all those needles til you got the right tension. Good luck with the socks.

Wavejumper said...

Wow. Your work is extremely good! You could sell it! Mom was huge knitter (and crochet) so I know. I can't do it. No idea why and drove her nuts but there it is. Lucky C!

hugs Margot