Monday 18 August 2014

Surprise!!

C got home from work today, and said "Get your camera and come quickly". He didn't tell me how far we had to go to see what he had seen - or I'd have put my flip-flops on!
But it was so worth it - I can't remember the last time I've seen a hedgehog that wasn't road-kill. Something must have disturbed this one to be out mid-afternoon, and it didn't look fully grown to me.
My camera battery was in the red, which I didn't realise, not having used it previously today. But I did get a few shots and even a snippet of video - though I think the video drained the battery altogether.
Because of C's motorbikes we have a locked gate across the entrance to our back garden, so I don't think we'll ever see this sweetie around our garden but it's nice to know that he's nearby. And once the battery was dead, we went back to the house for our slightly delayed coffee!






For anyone not sure of the size of a hedgehog - an adult is about 6-8 inches long.

I have quite a few of the Penny Black hedgehog stamps. Here's one of the most recent cards I made with one of them.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh my, what a wonderful surprise! I've never seen a hedgehog outside of a zoo or pet store. It would be quite a site. I bet you were thrilled. So glad your battery wasn't completely gone!!!

Elisa said...

I never seen one in my life. Glad you got a chance to see and photograph one. Beautiful card too.