Monday 5 September 2011

Autumn is here

I was watching the birds the other morning and noticed that the mahonia next door has started to flower - a sure sign that autumn is here.  Our sweetpeas are just coming to an end. I thought mine would be late, as I didn't soak them and germinate them indoors as I normally would, or even start them off the year before. But no - in spite of my shortcomings I have been seeing them all over the place the last month or so.



This is the tail end of my Californian wildflowers. I hope I can identify the one that is somewhat like an osteospermum - they have been very pretty, and have come in yellow, pink and an orangey red.



Hoping to save some seeds from the little miniature California poppy type ones, the heads are just ripening nicely.


1 comment:

Lorraine said...

You had such great luck with those wildflowers. Sure hope you get to save those seeds. That would be a very nice start for the spring and something to look forward to. I can't believe how the trees here are losing their leaves so heavily. But that might be for the better, getting the raking done sooner than later.