Tuesday 7 April 2015

St. Catherine's Park part one

I love this view over the river from the upper path through the woodlands...


This weeping tree was at the end of the wood, as far as we could walk.


We came across this plant I had never seen before. I looked it up when we got home, it's called Toothwort, and it's a parasite that grows on the roots of trees. I know you can see leaves around it - they're actually wild garlic. The Toothwort has no leaves of its own, so it can't carry out photosynthesis.


And some weird and wonderful fungi. In the second picture, it made me think a little of Audrey 2 in Little Shop of Horrors, it'as almost as if it was alive with tentacles, reaching up over the log.




In the frame: canoeists. I hoped they were going to down the (small) rapids, and having seen them walk along the bank parallel to us, on the opposite side, we waited to see them launch their canoes - but then they all started paddling up-stream.








1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Wow, new plants and that is such a cool fungus. Looks like you had a lovely time.