Friday 3 June 2011

Eastern Blooms

Another day of hot, hot sunshine. As I wasn't working I took a trip to Farmleigh.

C is feeling - well, I don't know quite what the right word is - he says that I have seen jays there and today I saw tree-creepers and he's never seen either any time he has been. But he saw them both in St. Catherine's Park, so he shouldn't feel too deprived.







Tree-creeper

I said I'd been experimenting with red cabbage -this is my final version. It's certainly not worth using balsamic vinegar as per the more modern recipe I tried, but the cranberries seem to be much nicer than apple.

Red Cabbage with Cranberries:
For half a red cabbage I used one red onion (because I had it, although I am sure an ordinary onion would be pretty much the same),  a little oil, 2 tblsp each brown sugar and wine vinegar, a pinch of allspice and about two ounces / 50 g dried cranberries.

Heat the oil, fry the sliced onion gently for a few minutes. Add the finely sliced cabbage and fry gently for another few minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar, spice and cranberries plus a little water  - enough just to keep it moist. Cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes, stirring a couple of times.

This would probably give about six servings as a side dish.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Gorgeous waterlily pictures. I love the first one with all those upturned and glossy leaves. What am I seeing swimming in the second picture? It looks like something with a breathing hole - or am I seeing things?

I bet the tartness of the cranberries was a great combination with the cabbage.