Friday 25 March 2011

Low Tide = Birds

The tide was exceptionally low in the river yesterday. I was able to get a good bird's eye view of this mallard and her mate on  a bank just below the bridge.


I was nearly at Frank Sherwin bridge, keeping an eye out for the heron (not there!) when I spotted a glimpse of colour across on the far side of the river. I've never seen a Mandarin Duck in the Liffey before. I do believe that once when I was little we saw them in Stephen's Green, and I hear they are there now - I'll have to take a trip southside and have a look. He was with a hen mandarin, but I couldn't get a good photo of her. I really need a longer zoom or a converter...



I was lucky enough to see, but not lucky enough to get a good photo, a swan flying up the river just level with my face.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

You have the most wonderful assortment of ducks. The mallards feathers are gorgeous, but the mandarin, well they look so sporty, yet somehow formal too. And the beards! I always find myself saying "come back, come back" when I miss a good flying shot. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever gotten one, but they sure are beautiful to watch. (PS - yes, you guessed where the banner is going.)

Cindy said...

What a wonderful series of pictures! You are so talented with that camera girlfriend! How sweet the little birdie in your banner is too....

Reminds me of some birdies my friend and I saw shopping last week....so fat and happy looking! Wonderful pictures Sabrina!