Monday 31 January 2011

Cloudy Monday

There was the most beautiful fiery red sunrise this morning, and then lovely clouds for quite some time after that. I had time to go out and take a couple of photos of the red sky before it was time to go to work - C had the dentist, so he was up later than normal and I was up earlier. Then once the sky had got more blue in it, the swoosh cloud that I'd seen earlier was even more noticeable. And by the time I got to work, while the sky was totally light, the clouds were still very dramatic.







A grey wagtail is a very small bird, especially when you're trying to take a picture of it across the river. But seeing it flit up and down the Liffey like a yellow butterfly brightened my day, so even though it's a crummy picture I'm still going to share it. I knew we'd finished work too late for me to make an early bus, even if I jogged all the way, so instead I took time to enjoy watching the wagtail. When I first saw it, it was just about 3 metres from me on the quay wall, but then it flew off over to the other side, landing on various perches up along the river. I've sometimes seen them on the canal here, but I don't feel I've seen one on the Liffey before.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I was going to quote Joni Mitchell's reference to clouds but those lyrics are so sad and your pictures are certainly not. What a vibrant sky! That would keep me from being grouchy about getting up early. The way that contrail is glowing it almost looks like an opening to heaven.

You've framed that grey wagtail beautifully. I love the contrast of the rough stone and the smooth water.