Saturday 13 November 2010

A crow of delight

The birds were out in force this morning - which was bright, sunny and cold.
I can't quite tell what tasty snack this crow found but it didn't last long...






Then I watched a flash mob of starlings finding some bread that somebody had thrown out on the grass - it attracted the gulls quite quickly. They were still there when I was on my way back. It amused me seeing the three birds in this picture, and the pigeon behind the gull made me think of a game of "Grandmother's Footsteps".



Evidently someone had been driving across the grass last night or this morning - a green road to nowhere.



I wanted something spicy and apple-y today. First recipe I turned up called for semolina, which doesn't figure in my store cupboard. It must be one of those things you love or hate - it's my aunt's comfort food. My mother's comfort food was buttered bread cut into squares with warm milk poured over, which was really odd because she normally didn't like milk at all, and especially warm milk, having grown up with boiled un-pasteurised milk in France. I don't think I know what mine is!

Sour Cream Apple Squares - recipe from Boston Tea Parties

2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar, packed down
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped nuts
1 1/2tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp soda, 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups finely chopped apple

In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar and butter together till it resembles fine crumbs. The recipe called for soft butter and beating at low speed. I used chilled butter and my pastry blender, as the amount was too large to fit in the Magimix. Stir in the nuts, and then put 2 3/4 cups of this mix into an ungreased 13" x 9" pan and press down firmly.
Add the cinnamon, soda, salt, vanilla, egg and sour cream to the remainder of the crumb mix, stir to mix well and then stir in the apples. Spread this over the the base. If you wish you can sprinkle an extra 1/2 cup of chopped nuts over the top.
Bake at 350F, 170C for 25-30 minutes. Makes 4 dozen - which means I cut mine too big!

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I tried to catch some crow pictures today myself. Silly me, I expected them to still be there while I was fiddling around with the settings on a new camera. That recipe sounds delicious and perfect for this time of year. I think we'll be stopping for apples on our way home this weekend.

jovialjudi said...

Yummy,yummy,yummy!! Have a great weekend Sabrina!